1905 – 1927
The Australian Dental Association Queensland Branch (ADAQ) has its origins in The Odontological Society of Queensland, a professional body formed at a meeting held on Tuesday, 14 March 1905, when several metropolitan dentists met by arrangement in a colleague's rooms. The objectives of the Society were to be the “promotion of good fellowship” and the advancement of the dental profession generally.
In 1905, a State Dental Conference was held in Brisbane. the first event of its kind in Australia.
In 1908, the Odontological Society of Queensland established the first Brisbane Dental Hospital, at Haper’s Building, in Elizabeth Street; it was later relocated to George Street.
ADAQ’s history is recorded in the Council Meeting Minutes from 1908 onwards, which are held at our offices in Brisbane.
1928 – 1949
In 1928, a national dental body, the Australian Dental Association (ADA), came into being after considerable negotiation between the states. Mr W. R. Parker from Queensland became the first Federal President.
The Odontological Society of Queensland thus became the state branch of ADA and is reconstituted as Australian Dental Association Queensland (ADAQ). Dr C. A. Street, who was President of the Odontological Society of Queensland at the time, became ADAQ's first President.
The ADAQ Memorandum and Articles of Association were later adopted at a meeting on 27 July 1928. The first Annual Meeting was held on 29 November 1928, which was attended by 64 members with 23 apologies.
The Odontological Society's practice was to have an Annual Conference at the same time as the Annual Meeting, two to three days being allotted to papers, clinics, and discussions. To this day, this practice is followed by ADAQ with the Annual Clinic Day, Annual General Meeting and Annual Dinner held in one day, usually the last Friday in November.
1950 - 1979
On 10 December 1953, ADAQ established its first committee on fluoridation. Its aim was 'to facilitate the fluoridation of public water supplies in Queensland'. The establishment of this committee follows the publication of MA Simmonds’ paper ‘Medication of Water Supplies’ in the Queensland Dental Journal.
On 22 July 1963, ADAQ became registered as a Union of Employers in Queensland.
On 6 September 1972, the new ADAQ headquarters, open at 24 Little Edward St, Brisbane. Christensen House is dedicated to Dr F.G. Christensen, eminent Queensland dentist. ADAQ’s offices will later move to the current Bowen Hills site.
In 1985, ADAQ hosted the 24th ADA Congress in Brisbane’s brand-new Performing Arts Centre. Over 1100 dentists attended.
In 1991, ADAQ elected its first female president, Dr Jennifer Smyth AM.
2001 – Present
On 14 March 2001, ADAQ became a Registered Training Organisation.
A review of Queensland Health (Forster Report, 2005) highlighted the state’s oral health issues, and the Fluoridation Act 2008 passed. However, the plan to reach mandatory fluoridation for 80% of Queenslanders by 2010 is halted by subsequent amendments.
On 27 November 2009, at the Annual General Meeting, members resolved to adopt a new constitution for ADAQ as the professional body for all registered dentist members. At the same time, new Rules for the Australian Dental Association (Queensland Branch) Union of Employers (ADAQUE) were accepted.
In 2019, ADAQ’s Constitution was amended to incorporate new objectives for the organisation, highlighting a renewed focus on supporting the dental professions and oral health awareness in the community.