Registered Training Organisation
The Australian Dental Association (Qld Branch) Union of Employers: RTO 30621
The qualification will provide you with the skills to work as a dental assistant, competently and safely assisting a dentist, dental therapist or dental hygienist during oral health care procedures. You will also gain the skills to assist with infection control and practice administration.
- Start of Year intake
- Mid Year intake
Course materials and resources will be provided and written assessments conducted by correspondence. Part of your assessment includes onsite practice visits from our Education and Practice Advisory Service team.
Regular student lecture events will be held at the ADAQ Functions Centre in Bowen Hills for students in the metro area with webinars available for students unable to attend in person.
- Must be employed by an ADA Member, State Oral Health Service or University Dental School
- Must be currently working in dental practice a minimum of 12 hours per week
- Must have basic English language skills (Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening)
Non-eligible persons may make a written request for enrolment with ADAQ.
ADAQ accepts trainees as part of this qualification, for further information please contact your Australian Apprenticeships Service Provider (AASP).
It is required that you have access to a reliable internet connection for online assessment activities and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player.
Assessments includes both theory and practical components which are conducted throughout the course including written assessments, online assessments, questioning, portfolios, observation during onsite practice visits, work samples, third-party feedback, and recognition of prior learning.
To be eligible for this qualification you must successfully complete all core and two elective units (group 1 or group 2) listed below.
Core Units of Competency
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community health
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTINF002 Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- HLTDEN001 Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTDEN002 Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN003 Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
Please note: The unit HLTAID003 Provide First Aid is not provided as part of the course content and will need to be completed with an external provider prior to course completion. Evidence of completion must be provided. The cost of HLTAID003 is not included in the course fees.
Elective Units – Group 1
- HLTOHC001 Recognise and respond to oral health issues
- HLTOHC004 Provide or assist with oral hygiene
Elective Units – Group 2
To undertake the electives in Group 2 the student must have 12 months of dental assisting experience prior to starting their Certificate III studies. Students selecting these electives must attend a one day workshop in Bowen Hills, Brisbane.
- HLTDEN012 - Take an impression for study models
- HLTDEN001 - Construct models
Credit Transfer and Recognition
If you have previously completed a Certificate III in Dental Assisting, Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or any of the core/elective units as part of another qualification you may be eligible for Credit Transfer (CT) or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
As part of your Expression of Interest Form below please include the Course Code and year it was completed. Our administration team will contact you to provide further information about eligibility.