Registered Training Organisation
The Australian Dental Association (Qld Branch) Union of Employers: RTO 30621
This qualification will provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide an advanced level of chair-side assistance to the operator. In addition, successful completion of the chosen elective will provide additional specialised practical training and skills necessary to undertake appropriate dental tasks.
Completion of the Radiography group electives for this qualification will enable the dental assistant to apply to the appropriate statutory authority for a licence to take both intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs under the direction of the dental operator and state legislative requirements.
Completion of the Oral Health Promotion group electives for this qualification will enable the dental assistant to provide a higher level of oral health instruction and education to patients.
- Start of Year Intake
- Mid Year Intake
Course materials and resources will be provided and written assessments conducted by correspondence. Part of your assessment includes on-site practice visits from our Education and Practice Advisory Service team.
Regular student lecture events will be held at ADAQ Functions Centre in Bowen Hills for students in the metro area with webinars available for students unable to attend in person.
As part of the Radiography group electives you will be required to attend one week of practicum at our CPD & Training Centre in Bowen Hills.
- Must be employed by an ADA Member, State Oral Health Service or University Dental School
- Must be currently working in dental practice a minimum of 12 hours per week
- Must have a minimum of 12 months work experience in a dental practice
- Must have basic English language skills (Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening)
It is required that you have access to a reliable internet connection for online assessment activities and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player.
To participate in the Radiography group electives all students must have access to both intra-oral and extra-oral radiographic equipment under the direction of a licensed dental practitioner.
Assessments are conducted in numerous methods throughout the course including written assessments, online assessments, questioning, portfolios, observation during onsite practice visits, work samples, third-party feedback, and through recognition of prior learning.
To be eligible for this qualification you must successfully complete all core and four elective units listed below. Elective units must be either Dental Radiography or Oral Health Promotion plus one additional elective unit.
Core Units of Competency
You must successfully complete all of the following core units:
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services *
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people *
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures *
- HLTINF002 Process reusable medical devices and equipment *
- HLTINF003 Implement and monitor infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
- HLTDEN001 Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures *
- HLTDEN002 Assist with dental radiography *
- HLTDEN003 Assist with administration in dental practice *
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid *
*Also HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting core units
Please note: The unit HLTAID003 Provide First Aid is not provided as part of the course content and will need to be completed with an external provider. Evidence of completion must be provided. The cost of HLTAID003 is not included in the course fees.
Elective Units - Dental Radiography
- HLTDEN007 Apply the principles of radiation biology and protection in dental practice
- HLTDEN008 Prepare to expose a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDEN009 Produce a prescribed dental radiographic image
Elective Units – Oral Health Promotion
- HLTDEN004 Implement an individualised oral hygiene program
- HLTDEN010 Implement an oral hygiene program for older people
- HLTDEN011 Implement an oral health promotion program
One additional elective below, these units require students to attend a one day workshop in Bowen Hills, Brisbane.
- HLTDEN014 Take a clinical photograph
- HLTDEN012 Take an impression for study models